The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET), is a non-profit networking and service alliance of Field Epidemiology (and Laboratory) Training Programs (FELTPs), and other applied epidemiology training programs. AFENET has operations in over 31 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa or the World Health Organisation Africa Region (WHO – AFRO). Established in 2005, AFENET is dedicated to helping Ministries of Health in Africa build strong, effective, sustainable programs and capacity to improve public health systems on the African continent.
We Are Recruiting To Fill The Position Below
Job Title: COVID-19 Laboratory Manager
Work Hours: Full time
Duration of contract: 12 months
Open to: All interested qualified candidates
• Nigeria is currently responding to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic with confirmed cases on the upward trend. The capacity to test is integral to the success of this response for identification, isolation, and treatment of confirmed cases towards containing and controlling the outbreak in Nigeria. The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has devised a testing strategy for this purpose.
• As the country’s apex public health laboratory, the NCDC National Reference Laboratory (NRL) leads the diagnosis of COVID-19 and other infectious diseases. Currently, the NRL is coordinating and supporting the optimization and activation of additional laboratories across the country; providing quality assurance for testing in these laboratories; and testing on behalf of several states. The additional volume of work being carried out by NRL during this pandemic necessitates more human resource for effective and efficient running of the laboratory.
• African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) seeks to recruit a COVID-19 Laboratory Manager for the NRL, Gaduwa. The COVID-19 Laboratory Manager will be tasked with the responsibility of improving and overseeing all laboratory processes for COVID-19 diagnostic testing; coordinating the NRL COVID-19 diagnostic functions; and providing technical support to implement the NCDC national testing strategy. The COVID-19 Laboratory Manager will report to the Director of Laboratory Services, NCDC.
The incumbent will manage / oversee all the COVID-19 related elements of NRL Gaduwa’ s function including:
• To oversee the general and operational management and planning for implementation of COVID-19 testing scale up
• To collaborate with the existing NRL managers in promoting workplace safety, environmental management, and infrastructural maintenance for COVID-19 response
• Provide technical support and oversight to all teams currently involved in the diagnostic processes including specimen management, the molecular laboratory bench team and mega lab bench team Diagnosis (virology/COVID-19)
• To oversee and coordinate the Quality Management System (Biosafety & biosecurity, Waste Management, Equipment Management/Maintenance, Stock/Inventory Management)
• To implement and strengthen the Laboratory Information Management System
• To provide technical oversight of the supply chain management team
• To provide technical support to the Director of Laboratory Services
• To perform any other duty as may be assigned by Director of Laboratory Services / Director General of the NCDC
Qualifications and Requirements
• M.Sc. in Laboratory Sciences or related field with 10 years post national youth service experience and a minimum of 5 years in provision of laboratory support
• Experience in management of laboratory services particularly public health facility, including laboratory analysis, interpretation and reporting techniques based on best practices, quality management practices and safe work practices.
• Knowledge of advanced laboratory procedures on high throughput instrument for disease diagnosis and management is an advantage.
• Well-developed computer skills.
• Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political, and ethical issues
• Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among NRL staff, consultants, and recipients of assistance.
Application Closing Date
29th May, 2020.
Click Here To Apply
Don’t Keep! Kindly Share: