At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have a curiosity, passion and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Our policy data scientists work with our policy issue experts around the world, equipping them with data and insights to inform our public policy positions. The Economics team produces in-house research and collaborates with world-leading academics to understand our marketplace and improve our products.
About The Role
We are seeking data scientists to drive research into how people use our platform to make money. In this role, you would be part of the Earnings team within Research and Economics, which is responsible for addressing thorny policy and business challenges impacting Uber globally.
At a minimum, you will need to be able to use an understanding of economics and econometrics in applied research and use SQL/R/Python to clean and analyze data. Projects will primarily focus on analyzing net earnings for drivers and delivery people and then evangelizing this knowledge using tools like dashboards and presentations. In particular, the role requires an ability to understand the economics of Uber’s marketplace and the complexities of geospatial and time-based variation in earnings. Interested candidates should have a customer service mentality as well as the ability to independently handle cross-functional projects.
Uber’s best-in-class technology provides outstanding economic opportunity for over 3 million people around the world. This role requires humility and dedication to getting the facts right so that we can do the right thing for our earners.
What You’ll Need
- Conduct meticulous data analysis in support of our research priorities
- Use your knowledge of economics and econometrics to consume and produce research on Uber’s marketplace as it relates to earnings
- Be outstandingly truth-seeking, collect whatever data necessary to advise earnings & earnings policy analysis, solicit and welcome critical feedback
- Develop assets (maps, graphs, visuals, etc.) that explain our research for policy and communications needs
- Develop data pipelines, build dashboards, and automate tools to equip teams across Uber and around the world with a better understanding of earnings
- Respond to data requests swiftly and accurately
- Collaborate with teams across Uber, both in HQ and around the world
- Communicate cross-functionally to understand the intersection of policy, product, legal, and operations and develop research that advises business or policy decisions
- Present your results internally and externally
- A bachelor’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Math, Engineering, Computer Science, Transportation Planning, or another quantitative field; PhDs welcomed
- Candidates with a relevant PhD and/or extensive experience will be evaluated (and paid) commensurate with their education and experience
- Minimum 2 years of applied economic research and/or econometric data science experience in an academic or professional setting
- Strong data skills and the ability to learn to use tools such as SQL, Python, R, and GIS mapping tools to work efficiently at scale
- Experience producing data visualizations from raw data using ggplot in R, python, or another programming language
- A willingness to—and ability to adapt to—different international cultures and contexts (some experience working or living abroad is not mandatory but appreciated)
- The capacity to work independently and execute a research plan with minimal oversight
- The ability to coordinate and synthesize analyses and communicate data insights with clarity
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to develop and maintain collaborative and productive research relationships with other teams around the company
- The ability to balance attention to detail with swift execution, including the ability to deliver on tight timelines
- Passion for learning and growth!
Click Here To Apply